Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Birth Story - Kellen and Aidan's birth

Written by Kellen, friend of BINSI

Hello all! I wanted to share my birth experience for those who are considering a natural (no medicine) birth. I must preface this by saying that when I initially heard about a drug-free birth, I thought the lady (who was doing it with twins) was absolutely crazy. Then, I started to think about it a little more and look into my options. That's when I discovered Hypnobirthing and my doula, Vivian.

I probably need to tell a little about Hypnobirthing... Hypnobirthing is a birthing method that uses breathing and relaxation techniques that allow you to eliminate/reduce the fear/tension/pain cycle that is the cause for most of the pain that a lot of women feel. The breathing and relaxation allows your muscles, hormones, and bodily chemicals to work in harmony and allow our incredible "baby machine" work easily!

Okay, with that said...here's my story! After I decided that HB was for me, I found a place that had the HB classes. My OBs had worked with many women who chose to use this method and they recommended my doula. We took the class (5 weeks - once a week) and I listened to my relaxation CD every night for a couple of months before my LOs birth.

Fast forward to delivery day (Friday, Nov 14th - due date was the 16th)... I woke up at 7:30 before my husband went to work to say goodbye and then laid on the couch for a little while. Around 8:30-8:45, I felt crampy, but wasn't sure if it was a "contraction" or if I just needed to poop...b/c I did the latter and felt better. Then a little while later I felt crampy again and pooped again - so, I figured the crampy was just b/c of the need to poop. I did this about 4 or 5 more times over the next 2 hrs until I just couldn't poop any more. Then, I figured I might be having "contractions."

I called my husband to ask him what he had planned for lunch and if he'd like to come home and have lunch with me...he was like "Well, I was going to have a short lunch so I could try to come home a little early today." So, I asked him again (hinting) are you SURE you don't want to come home to have lunch with me... I think I might be having contractions." I wasn't in any pain, I was only a little crampy about every 15-20 minutes, and not for long. My DH was home by 12:15 p.m. - we talked while he was coming home and I was fine. My DH had been timing my "contractions" from when we were talking on his drive home. I took a shower when he got home - still fine. We called our doula and told her what was going on. She said to just do as much at home as we could b/c we'd be more comfortable there than at the hospital.

We started getting the last minute things together b/c my DH told me that my contractions were now about 4 minutes apart...I hadn't been paying attention - I was just telling him when they started and ended...he was keeping track. :) So, my "contractions" had gone from every 15 minutes to every 4 in about 45 minutes. Needless to say, we left for the hospital. My doula was going to meet us there.

We got to the hospital by 1:15 and was admitted. They checked me and I was about 3.5 cm already! Yay! I had purchased a BINSI skirt for my labor, but I was so hot I only ended up wearing my socks. What I didn't consider was how handy it would be to have it after I had the baby. The skirt was totally cute and allowed me to walk around the hospital with him and look cute! I did my breathing techniques and moved to different positions until about 4:30. My dr stopped by, checked me and said I was about 7 cm. He had a c-section at 5 and would come back after that. The "contractions" got a little more intense, but not painful. My OB came back around 6:15 and said I was about 8 cm. I had had the urge to push every few "contractions" but he didn't want me to push yet as I wasn't completely effaced. I breathed through a couple of urges to push, but then told him I couldn't wait any longer. He did a little "stretching" down there and it was on from there!

He told me to give a push - I did - and we realized that the cord was around my LO's neck (his heart rate dropped). We waited a couple of "contractions" to let it stabilize, then pushed again. We got his head out (and cord from around his neck), pushed again and got his shoulders and most of his body out, and then pushed one more time. There was my beautiful little boy - born at 7 lbs 9 oz and 21.5 inches long at 7:10 p.m.! He was perfect in every way! Totally alert and ready to get going!

I even tore, and didn't know it! (I only knew after when my OB said he needed to stitch me up...)
I am going to do a natural/medicine free birth for all of our children, if medically possible! It was really worth it and was totally doable. It might not have been a leisurely stroll next to a babbling brooke, holding hands with your husband, but it was not a nightmare like so many people had told me. I wanted to let the people who are considering going drug-free know that it's a real option and a possibility. Don't rule it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment