Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Pregnancy - Carri's Pregnant!!

As part of a series we are beginning in Carri's 2nd trimester, she will be giving us her input as a pregnant mommy with 3 boys already!

Posted by Carri:

I’m finally returning to the world after a very long and sick start to my fourth pregnancy. This pregnancy was a big surprise, but very welcome none the less. My husband and I went to Chicago to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and a friends’ wedding, only to bring home more than the guest chocolates. I had a lot of doula births lined up for the fall and before I had even missed my period I started showing signs of pregnancy. Fatigue and nausea – ugh. On our actual 10th wedding anniversary we took the test and found out that I was indeed pregnant! To make things even more wild, it turned out my due date was the exact date I miscarried last summer. This news was very exciting, overwhelming, daunting and humorous all at the same time. However, I proceeded to get more and more sick, which is bad enough on its own, but with three other children, a business, and many doula clients it was near impossible. Morning sickness is such a strange phenomena. Why some women get it and others don’t is unfair and mysterious. I did have it with the other three pregnancies as well, but this one out did them all. I ended up depending on Unisom – yes the sleeping pill. It was the ONLY thing that helped, and helped does not mean cured. I tried the prescription meds, even IV meds when I went to the ER for fluids. I do not recommend taking Unisom, because it is not recommended for pregnancy, but it was my saving grace. I do also have to give a shout out to my amazing husband during this time. Not only did he work a lot during this period, but he would come home, cook, clean, handle the children and get them to bed every night for many months. Without him it would have been disastrous! So now at 20 weeks, I’m back and will gladly share my weekly journey along the way!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Carri! That is great news! I am sorry you've struggled with morning sickness. How did it go with your doula clients last fall? Did you use a backup at all?

    ReplyDelete