Thursday, July 16, 2009

Postpartum - Wake Up Call

Posted by Carri:

Another great part about having a home birth is the care I have received from my midwife. Not only did she provide me great prenatal care, she really cared about me and how I was going to take care of myself after the birth. She strongly urged that I really take the two weeks all midwives advise to take it easy. She told me that if I didn't take that time, I would struggle for 6 - 9 months to get back on my feet with 4 kids. So my husband took off 3 days from work (no that was not enough, but whatever!), my best friend came up with her 3 kids (who entertained my kids) for 5 days, and then my mom came up here for the rest of the time. After the two week mark I was terrified about handling all of this on my own. I haven't had to do laundry, dishes, cooking, or all 4 kids on my own. So I figure that I will just focus on trying to keep everyone sane and alive each day, and anything else that gets done will be a plus. I know that I can handle anything, but it is always a downer to realize that your days of being taken care of and others helping you out are mostly over. I still have a few meals coming in, and my mom will come up and help here and there... but still - it will be a challenge and a transition and all I can do is face it and become the mother of 4 I knew God meant for me to be. I'll keep you updated. Or rather if you don't see many blogs from me for a while, take that as a sign that I'm still struggling to get my feet under me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment