Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ina May Gaskin: Birth Matters, Farting Does Too

A happy update on me - no tooth extraction today! I went to a different endodontist and it turns out I have really difficult roots. He said my roots are very curvy and a lot of times that means that they don't get it all. He thinks this is what happened with the other tooth that was extracted (and sadly probably didn't need to be). There is still a small possibility that it is cracked, but I'm very optimistic - hooray!!! I think this a lesson about how it is not just childbirth that we as women need to really inform ourselves about. Getting second opinions and trusting who is working on us, as well as trusting ourselves is a life long journey.

I loved this post, and frankly I love Ina May too! I love that she can be so knowledgeable, yet still down to earth and funny. I love that she recognizes that humor has purpose in ways most have never really thought about. Brilliant! She is right about farting, but I'm not sure I'm up for relaxing on that too much. ;) Please read this whole post, I LOVED her last few sentences - it just shows how powerful birth is and how powerful we are as women and as mothers. Well done Michelle!

I want to create an altar to worship the great Ina May Gaskin, mother of midwifery, right now, but I’m going to try to compose myself to write about my experience seeing her at the Warsaw in Brooklyn, sitting in the front row, center. She was there promoting her new book, Birth Matters: A Midwife’s Manifesta. While she talked about birth, it made me re-think so many things in my life. The minute she took the stage, I felt the greatness in the room. She is witty and smart and a goddess at 71 years old.

To read the rest of this post click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment