Friday, January 13, 2012

Postpartum Abdominal Support

Your baby has been born and your “6 week post partum period” has ended; yet you may still find yourself in pregnancy jeans with an extra pregnancy pouch. Many of us have this idea in our head that once the baby is out, our body just goes back to the way it was before. I hate to say it but I was astounded by how much my own body changed after having a kiddo. I have continuously told people to be gentle with themselves, after all it took 9 months to put it on why would we expect that at 6 weeks we would be back to normal. There does come a point where you are feeling rested enough and you are ready to get your body back, to strengthen the core and the muscles that have been stretched and weakened. When dealing with my own postpartum 6 years ago I was shocked to read all the different opinions on how to get your muscles back. I hope that this article will lay it out for you all simply.

To read the rest of this article click here.

1 comment:

  1. Great article! I actually had the opposite problem though, I have really tone abs and I think that's one of the reasons why my labor was sooo long, I was holding my daughter in and up because I was waiting for the midwife to come back.

    My abs felt so sore for weeks afterwards, I later learned that this is a common problem with women who have strong abs or who work out a lot, they have a tendency to hold there babies high up until their uterus forces their abs to let go and push the baby down, in my case though I think my abs just got overworked and tired then let go.

    Women who start pregnancy with loose or weak abs get Diastasis and women who have strong abs won't let go of the baby until their abs become exhausted.

    ReplyDelete